Isthmus is one of New Zealand’s leaders in pioneering the design of culturally meaningful, enduring, healthy and inspiring environments.
Our award-winning design studio has been going strong for over 28 years, and is unique because it exists at the intersection of architecture, landscape architecture and urban design. We have big aspirations to take our urban design and integrated design practice to new heights, and we’re embarking on a phase of serious growth. You’ll get a unique opportunity to help us build this within a well-established, exceptional environment.
It means more inspiring projects, the chance to collaborate and lots of excitement. This way of working is an expression of our design philosophy of “no boundaries”. We design across disciplines, allowing the project to be shaped by different perspectives, collective intelligence, and the diverse design skills of our creative team in order to create places that are more enduring, meaningful and fit-for-purpose.
We have a number of new and exciting projects happening that will inspire communities and inform the way in which people sustainably live, play and work now and into the future. Projects that satisfy our passion for design that integrates into the fabric of the urban environment. We have openings in our Auckland and Wellington studios and we’re looking for people to join us who think differently – questioning old ways of doing things and opening discussions that can lead to new possibilities.
Here’s the role:
- You’ll take a lead role in master-planning projects and collaborating within our inter-disciplinary team on the design of public and private projects, of all scales, in Auckland and beyond.
- Helping to foster the talent of others, you will lead the way in driving innovation and developing our urban design practice with award-winning, impactful solutions that extend and enrich places, people and communities.
- You’ll oversee project teams and expertly manage projects, carefully overseeing scope, deliverables, design quality and profitability of projects. Not least you’ll also guide strong client relationships and contribute to winning exciting new work.
The next urban designers to join Isthmus will have:
- A first degree in architecture or landscape architecture
- An urban design qualification or proven urban design focus and experience
- Strategic thinking and ability to carefully integrate design and planning
- Good understanding of a wide range of residential typologies
- Proven ability in site feasibility, through to resource consent process and documentation
- Understanding of Aucklands Special Housing Area policies
- A drive for excellence, innovation, and to do things differently
- A proactive attitude: you’ll grab opportunities to chart your own course
- Excitement about working in shades of grey and the opportunity to collaborate within our “no boundaries” design environment.
What it’s like to work at Isthmus:
- You’ll join a studio that’s design-led first and foremost – but with commercial savvy
- Personal growth is more important here than titles and labels. You’ll get the encouragement to stretch your abilities and fast-track your career beyond old-school hierarchies
- You won’t be pigeon-holed, instead you’ll work across a diversity of inspiring, complex projects in an environment where your strengths and interests will be nurtured
- You’ll find we have a big focus on helping you continue to learn and develop. We’ll even contribute towards the costs of professional development, conferences and institute membership
- Work/life balance is encouraged and you’ll be offered things like flexible work hours, time in lieu, and our very own public holiday ‘Matariki’ – a day off and a special dinner we throw for the whole team and whānau
- You’ll enjoy a special culture that includes lots of little extras like bike parks, fruit deliveries, Friday after work drinks, and dinner if you’re working late – to show our appreciation to you
- As an associate you’ll play an important role on the senior leadership team and be given the opportunity for shareholding in the business.
If you’ve got a fresh approach to design and are ready to create some of New Zealand’s best designed places, apply now with your CV and a portfolio via Seek: http://bit.ly/2dI1DgS
Date Posted: Monday 26 September